Modeling: Explain aloud your thought process as you are doing something and your child is listening.
“This is what I do when I _____________. What do you do?”
<Provide and listen for an explanation of the steps that need to be considered.>
“I find that if I do the ‘worst first’ of my work, then I accomplish more in less time. How do you go about prioritizing your work? What order are you going to do your assignments in today?”
Questioning: Ask your child open-ended questions to get them thinking and talking.
- What was a “skylight moment” for you today, a moment where the light just broke through for you?
- I wonder ______________. What do you think?
- How can your anxious thoughts and feelings make you stronger?
- What do you think the lesson may be in all of this?
- What category would you put ______ in? Why?
How can these losses make you stronger?
Why are we doing this?
How do you think this may help you?