Our staff-developed curriculum concentrates on the whole child and is aligned with the Colorado Department of Education Early Learning and Developmental Guidelines. It encourages engagement through fun, hands-on learning experiences in intentionally designed centers and in small and large groups.
Our youngest students are taught early concepts in math, science, literacy and language — and also safety and social-emotional and problem-solving skills, such as how to keep themselves safe, identify their feelings, use their words with others, take turns, share and cooperate. Students also learn the basics of how to relate to teachers and fellow students in classroom settings so they’re well prepared for Kindergarten.
To help families needing even greater flexibility in their schedules, The Preschool also offers extended-day, Before Care and After Care programs, and Summer Programs for children ages 3-5. We invite you to learn more about those offerings and tuition.
The Preschool curriculum is fluid and dynamic so learning activities and themes can be individualized to meet the needs of children enrolled. It is based on the following principles:
Developmental: Through open-ended learning activities, children can use multiple ways and a wide range of developmental levels to engage lessons. The curriculum meets children where they are and enables them to reach goals that are challenging and achievable.
Child-centered: Our teachers are responsive to children’s previous learning experiences, current knowledge and personal interests. We intentionally choose and facilitate activities meaningful to the children to keep them active and engaged. Our curriculum builds on our littlest students’ prior learning experiences to help them organize and process new information.
Best Practice: The Preschool’s curriculum is based on knowledge and research of how children learn and develop. Teaching strategies are appropriate to children’s age and developmental levels and attuned to each child’s uniqueness. Best practice engages children through the language of play and is built upon strong relationships as a foundation for learning.
Themes: The Preschool’s curriculum centers around particular themes addressing the following areas: math, science, literacy, language, small and large motor, social-emotional, creative arts, music and spiritual development. This allows children to engage thematic materials by learning in multiple ways with a biblical worldview.
When a child receives a Christ-centered education, an entire family benefits.
- Bible stories, Bible verses and character development are integrated throughout The Preschool’s curriculum with practical application given to everyday events, such as reading Bible stories together, memorizing verses, daily prayer, and singing and dancing to songs about God.
- Christian character is emphasized through demonstrations of “other-centeredness” and through reflections on loving and showing considerate behavior in the classroom and the larger school community. Even our youngest students are taught in age-appropriate ways how to be a support to those in need through local and international mission partners.
- A preschool-appropriate and guided worship is offered at special times of the year to emphasize the significant events of Jesus Christ’s life.
The teacher/student classroom ratio is approximately 1:8. Classes average 14-18 students, and most are staffed with a teacher and an teaching assistant.
The Faculty and Staff
- Teachers in The Preschool have been selected carefully in keeping with CHC’s mission, and they exhibit outstanding teaching ability and a loving, Christ-like character.
- Teachers are certified by the State of Colorado.
- All teachers and CHC personnel are current in CPR/1st Aid and Universal Precautions. They consistently receive background checks.
- CHC has a nurse on site throughout the school day to respond to illnesses and accidents.
Director of The Preschool and School-Age Care
- M.A., Educational Administration, University of Denver; B.A., Dance, University of California-Irvine
- More than two decades of experience in early childhood teaching and administration. Previous professional experience includes formal evaluation of early childhood educational programs for the State of Colorado.
- Favorite Bible verse: Ezekiel 36:26 “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.”
- Read her full bio here.