We require all CHC Parents of students in The Preschool through Grade 8 to set up their own account in Canvas. This is the learning-management system through which they will receive communications from teachers and have access to a student’s academic progress, assignments and grades.
These are helpful things to know to ensure a smooth setup:
Use a laptop or desktop computer to set up a new account. This process does not work on a personal, mobile device. However, once an account is established, Canvas can be accessed easily from a mobile phone or tablet.
Access Canvas from a mobile device. Once an account is established, we encourage parents to access Canvas from their mobile phone and/or tablet. To do so, visit the app store that serves your mobile device(s), and download the Canvas app. To log into Canvas from your mobile device, use the same username and password you selected when setting up your account.
Keep the same account from year to year. Once an account is established, there is no need to set up another.
Setting up a new parent account
To set up a new parent account on Canvas and link it to a specific student account for observation, please follow these instructions:
- Create a Pairing Code to observe your student. A Pairing Code links a parent and their student in Canvas. Please note that a Pairing Code can be generated only from the student’s login via the Canvas website or student app. To log in as your student, go to https://chc.instructure.com, and click the blue staff/student button. On the sign-in page, use your student login that was provided.
Note: To access your student’s Canvas account, you must have the following information, which CHC sends to parents via email: Student User Name and Student Password. After logging in as your student, follow these instructions to generate a pairing code:
a. Click “Account” on the red Canvas navigation bar located on the lefthand side of the page. After this, click “Settings”.
b. On the righthand side of the settings page, click “Pair With Observer” to obtain the code.
c. Once a Pairing Code is generated, please save it because it will be needed when creating a new parent account. Please note that Pairing Codes expire after seven days or their first successful use. If you are having trouble generating a Pairing Code, please review these instructions and these frequently asked questions on the Cavas website. You must visit https://chc.instructure.com to access Cherry Hills Christian’s secured Canvas page.
2. Create Parent Login/Account.To Access the Parent login screen, please click here. The following login screen will appear. Please click on “Parent of a Canvas User? Click Here For an Account.”
3. Complete the following form. Enter the Pairing Code where prompted. Click on “Start Participating.”
Hooray! You should be logged into Canvas and able to observe your student’s coursework. If you encounter technical difficulty, please contact us for assistance.
In the future, to retrun to the Canvas login page go to https://.chc.instructure.com and choose the orange parent button.
How to observe a second student through a Canvas parent account:
- Generate a Pairing Code following step 1 on this page.
- Log into Canvas here using your email and password created when setting up your account: https://chc.instructure.com/login/canvas
- Add the second student to your account:
- Click on Observing
- Enter Pairing Code generated following the instructions above.
- Click +Student
- Click on Account
Managing a Canvas account
Canvas includes a set of default notification preferences you can receive for the courses you are observing. Notifications are sent to Canvas contact methods as specified in your account User Settings. However, you can change the default settings by setting your own notification preferences. These preferences apply only to you; they are not used to control how course updates are sent to the student you are observing. Please visit here for instructions about how to set your Canvas notification preferences as an observer.
Resetting a password
Forgotten password To access Canvas after forgetting your password, please visit the parent login page, and click on the “Forgot Password?” link. Follow the prompts. You will receive a link via email that allows you to reset your Canvas password.